• February 237 Earth-like planets discovered orbiting star 39 light-years from Earth

• February 4Edison takes 2nd place at Fresno County Academic Decathlon

Microchips in humans become a reality

Lydia Gonzalez, Editor-in-Chief

Human microchip implants, although still on the outskirts of technological innovation are becoming more and more commonplace. Human microchipping involves using a hypodermic needle to inject an RFID (radio-frequency identification) microchip, the size of a grain of rice, usually into the person’s hand or wrist. The same kind of chip is used for tracking lost pets.The implants send a unique ID number that can be used to activate devices such as phones and locks, and can be linked to databases containing limitless information, including personal details such as names, addresses and health records. Many consumers of this product are parents who implant their child as an identifier or tracker.This,however, brings up many concerns.

Some believe the chip is a violation of human rights. Children should not be subjected to any invasive procedure that is not medically necessary. Children are already subjected to many other controversial immunizations and medications. Besides, good parents should know where their children are at all times. Most children now have cellphones or other mobile devices with  GPS capabilities. These tools can be used to enhance any search efforts to find a lost child.

Knowing where a child is does not guarantee the child’s safety . Statistically, children are more likely to be harmed by someone they know, rather than by a stranger, so chipping them does not ensure you will be able to keep your child safe.

If you need to microchip your child to know where he or she is, your parenting has gone so far off the rails as to be almost a lost cause. At that point, what you need is intense, professional help, not an electronic device implanted in your child. Micro chipping is not medically necessary, and gives parents yet another excuse not to actually parent. There are already plenty of ways for children to be identified, from dental records to DNA samples to fingerprinting. There is no reason to microchip children.

There are also some concerns about the health risks of such chips. GPS trackers use satellites to locate children, which emits radiation signals that can cause harmful radiation poisoning. There have been a plethora of studies showing that frequent exposure to radiation can cause harm. Harm such as fatigue, cancer, and infertility.

Lastly we have to face the fact that bad things happen, and tracker or not there is always a way around the device.Criminals will learn ways around it, like jamming signals to prevent the microchip being traced or even removing it. Also, there are already too many unhealthy and/or invasive medical procedures being used and a microchip is just another thing out there to be hacked.

Although microchipping is soon becoming a fast trend, it still remains to be seen if it will survive in the long run.