College, the Expensive Truth

College, the Expensive Truth

Jordan Jackson, Staff Writer

What if college tuition was free or at least affordable? Well, I can tell you right now, people wouldn’t be in debt, more students would graduate from college, and more individuals would be able to reach their long-term goals. First of all, college is just too expensive. From a 2018 to 2019 study, the average cost of tuition fees were $35, 676, at private colleges, $9,716 for public colleges, and $21, 629 for out of state colleges. Some of the more prestigious schools are estimated to be a good 40,000 in cost. Leaving many Americans with a huge bill.

There are more than 45 million Americans with student loan debt, and it is a whopping national total of $1.5 million. If college was free or at least cheaper more people would attend, and we would see the increase by negating large college bills. Students would also have more freedom to choose the major they want instead of being guided towards practical majors because they have a more lucrative post-graduation income. The younger generation will no longer live in financial damage and lower-income students would reach graduation, instead of dropping out due to not being able to pay tuition all four years.

Let’s not forget the high school students who dread the thought of even having to pay for college. Which makes them stress over scholarship applications, taking loans in the future, and being left with thousands of dollars in college bills at the beginning of their adult life. Colleges should be trying to decrease the costs of their tuition to promote equal opportunities for all participants. A student’s ability to go to college should be based upon their academic success, not their family’s financial status. Basically, individuals who really want to succeed deserve to experience college, regardless of the cost. The cost of tuition is unbelievable and it is unreasonable to expect students to pay for it without being left in a financial hole.