The Year of a Real Prom

Jordan Jackson, Staff Writer

Due to the pandemic in 2020, many individuals did not get a chance to experience a prom the way it should be experienced. In 2021, prom returned, but it did not feel the same. However, in 2022, we are slowly returning back to a sense of normalcy. This year, Edison is going with a Met Gala-themed prom ceremony. If you don’t know, the Met Gala Ball is fashion’s biggest night. It is said to be the “super bowl” of red carpets, and one of the only nights celebrities show off their boldest outfits. This is Edison’s most exciting theme yet and the location is going to be at West Holland Park.

The prom is in full effect and is the priority event that symbolizes the end of high school for many seniors and the beginning of your adult years too! It is often seen as the culmination of the school year and for seniors, the beginning of the end of four years of learning, growing, and friendship that transitions into a memory that lasts forever. Many Tigers are excited for this once-in-a-lifetime night. To further elaborate on the significance of Prom, I will be explaining its origins and why it is such a big deal.  

Prom is short for promenade, which means “the formal, introductory parading of guests at a party.” It dates all the way back to the 19th century, typically only allowed in the 1940s at colleges and universities. However, American high schools adopted the event and it turned into a traditional dance. In many ways prom is a status thing, that is why it has become so expensive. There is this trend of impression leading up to the prom experience. Everyone wants to look the absolute best or have the nicest luxuries. For example, who is riding in the limo? Who went to the most expensive restaurant in town? Who was the best-looking couple? The cost of prom has a lot to do with the accommodations around the celebration including dinner, limousines, tickets, pictures, tux rentals, and of course that infamous dress. Is prom worth all the money? I would say so, especially when you find ways to cut the cost. Families should create budgets that do not go beyond a certain amount.  

The class of 2023 is so excited about this night! This is definitely going to be an evening to remember for many years to come.