Top 10 Superhero Movies of All Time

Joaquin Ayon, Staff Writer

1) Batman: The Dark Knight

No surprise this movie is at top and for very good reasons. The movie was splendid throughout the whole film and brought the standard to all superhero movies. The movie is relentless, and I mean that in the best way, the way an action movie should be pulsating with energy, anticipation, and a feeling that everything is important. The opening scene, where a bunch of masked clowns rob a bank while heartlessly offing one another,  is easily one of the best opening sequences in cinema history, and then somehow, impossibly, the entire movie lives up to it. Of course, a great superhero needs a great villain, and The Dark Knight has the best ever, both in character and in performance. People might not remember this, but people weren’t happy when Heath Ledger was cast in that role, nor were they happy when the first photos were released and his hair “wasn’t right.” These characters just matter more. Well, obviously all of those complaints were foolish, because Ledger managed to take one of the greatest villains of all-time and make him realistically fit into this hyperreal world of a masked-vigilante, all while being a Joker we’ll accept. Those are just a few points of this amazing modern classic, but The Dark Knight is the pinnacle, and while we can all hope for our superhero films to reach that level, don’t expect them to surpass it. You can’t top perfect.

2) Spider-Man 2

Number 2 is a modern classic and one a prime example of what a superhero movie should be and look like. Coming off a huge hit with Spider-Man, Sam Raimi had to step it up in order in the much-awaited sequel. This movie connects with many teenagers at home and is a prime example of no matter who we are, Spider-Man or Peter Parker, with great power comes great responsibility. After turning down the lovely Mary Jane Watson in the first film, Peter is met with the tough task of trying to balance out school, friends and being Spidey. As we progress through the movie, Peter himself doubts his choice to be Spider-Man with the Daily Bugle giving him a bad reputation and such. Because of the stress it brings, he begins to then lose the will to be Spider-Man and question why is he doing what he is doing. Eventually, Pete knows who he is and knows why he is Spider-Man, as he has a purpose to help the city of New York. 

3) The Avengers

Many years ago this couldn’t be true. One couldn’t possibly think that over 6 superheroes are going to be part of a first group movie. The very first movie where multiple superheroes will come together to defeat the devious Loki, it was nothing short of spectacular. First of all the thought of having this much power and acting superstars will be nearly impossible but it is well thought out as the budget for this movie must’ve been huge. Not only does this movie display a great ending with the Avengers finally coming together to defeat Loki but also it plants some spoilers for the movies to come and really sets the tone for the MCU and the fans will be hyped for Infinity War.

4) Wonder Woman

DC has recently picked up their game with this stellar picture of the wonderful Amazonian Diana Prince, aka Wonder Woman. When the trailer of Batman v Superman came out many people were quick to criticize actress Gal Gadot because of her hair, and overall appearance as many thought she wasn’t fit to be Wonder Woman. Fans and critics alike were quick to change their opinion after the film brought in great reviews and a huge revenue as well. The movie was set during World War I which only made the film more spectacular as many movies have proved that movies during this time are great (Captain America: The First Avenger) This movie is only the second great movie DC has produced and will be a great example for movies to come.

5) X-Men: Days of Future Past

The movie which came after a reboot that fans were excited to see and loved, only surpassed the amazing work of the X-Men: First Class. Set during the Cold War when the US and the Russia were in a tight battle to outdo one another, the mutants were looking for acceptance in the world and were trying to stop Mystique from killing the professor and deepening the bad relationship between the humans and mutants. Wolverine played by Hugh Jackman proved to have a vital role in this movie as he traveled back in time in order to stop Raven, with the help of Professor Charles Xavier and Hank, aka Beast. The movie was not only received by fans well, but was loved by critics alike. This would set up key pieces for the future movies, like X-Men: Apocalypse and perhaps in 2018 X-Men: Dark Phoenix.   

6) The Incredibles

The only animated movie worthy to make the list, this movie has been loved by us who grew up with us and is known as one of Disney’s best movies of all time. A retired Mr. Incredible and his wife have to come out of retirement after the devious Buddy Pine aka Syndrome has come to destroy them. Forcing them to come out and fight, the family has to come together to defeat the dastardly villain. Children Violet and Dash are taken to battle and are new to the scene so they slowly have to gain confidence and be able to fight and eventually they do and come together to defeat Syndrome. As an animated movie, this was a success as it introduced many people to Disney as superhero fans. Both critically and fan loved, this movie is only going to get more popular after the Incredibles 2 teaser trailer was announced, and many teen fans and older fans are extremely excited for the second installment.

7) Guardians of the Galaxy

The first Guardians of the Galaxy was nothing short of phenomenal as the take on the space fighting guardians, comes to a financial success. The film which is crafted beautifully with strange creatures and many galaxies coming together to bring out the life of Star-Lord. A funny movie which made us laugh throughout the whole thing, shows us how one of the infinity stones is tracked throughout the film. As Peter Quill, played by the hilarious Chris Pratt, is scavenging some items, he comes across the orb which is then taken to a planet for money, but then Gamora tries to find the orb and take it to the collector since it can destroy an entire planet. Ronan the Destroyer then comes into play as he tried to kill the Guardians as they fight for the orb, and eventually only as a group they are able to defeat Ronan, and take the orb in safe keeping. The film as great and the second one was equally as good, and now everyone is excited to see the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy fight together in The Avengers: Infinity War.

8) Iron-Man

The movie which started it all, and the movie which set pace towards all the MCU and tons and tons of movies to come, Iron Man was a brilliant piece with Robert Downey Jr. playing a great role as Tony Stark. As the movie started Stark he was in a desert somewhere as he tries to try out a new weapon as it explodes in the desert, some thugs kidnap him and take him to a cave in which he builds his first suit to support himself. Stane the bad guy, and his scientists cannot duplicate Stark’s miniaturized arc reactor, so Stane ambushes Stark at his home and takes the one from his chest. Stark manages to get to his original reactor to replace it. Stark fights Stane, but is outmatched without his new reactor to run his suit at full capacity. The fight carries Stark and Stane to the top of the Stark Industries building, and Stark instructs Potts to overload the large arc reactor powering the building. This unleashes a massive electrical surge that causes Stane and his armor to fall into the exploding reactor, killing him. The next day, at a press conference, Stark defies suggestions from S.H.I.E.L.D. and publicly admits to being the superhero the press has dubbed “Iron Man”, which makes him immensely popular. The movie sets us many to come and is loved by all people and critics alike.

9) Captain America: Civil War

This great movie which brought a fight between Ironman and Captain America, this was made back in 2016 when this would thought to be impossible. A bunch of new characters were introduced like Black Panther and our first time to see Vision as a human and how he is amongst other superheroes. As the film starts Wanda Maximoff causes and explosion in one of the cities in Wakanda which makes an outrage between the United Nations and Avengers. Also they were trying to hunt down Bucky, Captain America’s friend for causing the explosion and killing Black Panther’s son. After trying to help Bucky, he and Captain America fight off with Iron Man and friends and it turns out that Bucky also killed Stark’s parents but only because he was programmed to. The movie brought out hundreds of millions and then ended up helping set up the movie to come, Avengers; Infinity War.

10) Spider-Man: Homecoming

In this phenomenal movie starring Tom Holland, we are introduced to the 3rd reboot of Spiderman in which Tony Stark gives Peter a suit and the privilege of fighting alongside Iron Man during Captain America: Civil War. The light-hearted film starts off by showing us how Spider-Man vlogs his life and all the events leading up to his great battle. After that he waits around every day until Stark calls him back for another mission. Although he’s not wanted by Stark, he investigates suspicious activity by the Vulture himself and exposes him and the Vulture knows he cannot expose his secret identity. Eventually Pete find out that his crush’s dad is really the Vulture and he gets nervous and then fights him as the love of his life’s life is in danger. This movie was beloved by the young audience that has been newly introduced to Spider-Man and also brought back Spiderman fans that loved the old franchise with Tobey Maguire as well.

11 Comments

11 Responses to “Top 10 Superhero Movies of All Time”

1. Jaidey on December 7th, 2017 11:11 am

All of these are really good but there is one that you forgot about. The Incredibles, they deserve to be on this list.

[Reply]

Michael Davis Reply:

Um, they are on the list.

[Reply]

2. Matt on December 7th, 2017 11:19 am

Captain America: The First Avenger is a notable absence on this list for me. Probably the strongest solo Avengers to date to my mind. Pretty strong list otherwise.

[Reply]

3. Michael Davis on December 7th, 2017 11:19 am

Speech was colorful and easy to read however it could be more with the best regards for the writer. I would on the other hand enjoy to here him elaborate why these ten movies are the best of all time(cost of production, profit, actor opinion etc.).

[Reply]

4. Guadalupe on December 7th, 2017 11:27 am

The top 10 movies are somewhat accurate. Are they like your options on 10 top or are they coming from reviews?

[Reply]

5. Jakob conrad on December 7th, 2017 11:28 am

My guy… spider-man 2? I get homecoming. that was a good choice, but it becomes one or the other at a certain point you have to pick one spider-man movie. two spider-man movies just seem… excessive.

[Reply]

6. Bacilio Rubio on December 7th, 2017 11:30 am

I agree with what they say, this is a pretty strong list of movies!! I’ve only seen a few of these so I don’t have much to say, but perhaps because of your list, I may watch some of these movies to see if they are good.

[Reply]

7. Jesus Sandoval on December 7th, 2017 11:32 am

I really enjoyed reading this article. It’s always a great experience to relive your favorite movies, and your writing is just really good. I also love the choices you compiled, especially considering how difficult it is to compile such a list. I would say that I believe Batman: The Dark Knight Rises should have been on this list. But I know you can’t please everyone. All in all, this was an awesome read, good job!

[Reply]

8. Crystal Carganilla on December 7th, 2017 11:35 am

I liked how you included pictures, it makes the article more interesting. Also the way you put background information made it easier to understand why that superhero movie is one of the top.

[Reply]

9. Jordan Ray on December 7th, 2017 11:39 am

I love every last one of these stories!!!! Really nice pictures, I like how you formatted the whole article. This story really grabbed my attention. 5 stars!!

[Reply]

10. Eric Gaytan on December 7th, 2017 11:49 am

Great article Joaquin! These movies were all amazing in my opinion.

[Reply]

• Top 10 Superhero Movies of All Time

Arts and Entertainment

15 Best Cartoon Network Shows

• Arts and Entertainment

Winter Activities

• Arts and Entertainment

Justice for the Justice League

• Top 10 Superhero Movies of All Time

Arts and Entertainment

Hollywood’s Latest Controversy

• Top 10 Superhero Movies of All Time

Arts and Entertainment

Kylie’s Pregnant?! Fake or Fact

• Top 10 Superhero Movies of All Time

Arts and Entertainment

15 Best Cartoon Network Shows

• Top 10 Superhero Movies of All Time

News

Fantasy Football

• Top 10 Superhero Movies of All Time

News

The Most Memorable Moments of the Year of Trump

• Arts and Entertainment

Winter Activities

• Top 10 Superhero Movies of All Time

Editorials

Who is better Messi or Ronaldo?

The Student News Site of Edison High School - Fresno, CA
Top 10 Superhero Movies of All Time