New Year, Old Me?

New Years Resolutions

Tiffany Vang

I’m sure every year you make a resolution and “try” to keep up with it, whether it’s eating right, exercising, trying not to curse, ect. The thing is, do you really actually keep up with it? Now, I’m just speaking for me, I’ve never kept up with them. Even for the little things like be more positive I can’t even do. Yes it’s upsetting that i couldn’t even be more positive to make someone’s day better but I really did try! How can you make someone’s day when you yourself can’t even be more positive to yourself. And I’m sure everyone who failed to keep up with their tried. Now let’s talk about those people who actually keep up with their resolutions. I can not express the happiness I have for those who actually keep up, and achieve their goals.

What about that “New Year, New Me” stuff? That i actually can do. Whenever the year is coming to an end I want start the new year with a new hair cut, color, or a different fashion style. For example since the year is ending, I might want to go crazy and dye my hair blue or something I’m sure! It’s a little out of my comfort zone but hey why not?!

While writing this, I wanted to find some strategies and tips that can help people like me who can’t really keep up with their resolutions. Doing my research I found some pretty helpful tips that can help me achieve my goal(s). According to bankrate.com, (pretty weird that it’s a financing website but it actually has some pretty helpful tips!) they give a 8-steps list on way to actually keep the ball rolling with your new year’s resolution. And here are the tips:

Step one: “Making something you really want” — make sure the goal that you are setting for yourself is something that you really want to achieve. Doing that will really give you the inspiration, so while you’re half way through you don’t get tired of doing it.

Step two: “Limit your list to a number you can handle”– don’t overwork yourself. Make sure that you actually set a real goal that you can actually achieve in reality. Don’t set too many goals for yourself, just incase you don’t actually get to it, you won’t feel so guilty that you actually can’t do it.

Step three: “Be specific”– be detailed in what you want to do or achieve. Also be very detailed in what you need to do in order to make your goal. For example, if you wanted to lose weight you can actually do meal preps, or set dates at the gym, and actually make a plan of what exercises you’ll be doing at the gym. If you just say “Workout at gym”, it doesn’t really give you the motivation to go and actually exercise.

Step four: “Make a plan”– Always make a plan that is actually how you want to do it. So when it’s time to do what you need to do, you are prepared and won’t have to actually plan and just go on with what you already have.

Step five: “Be prepared to change some habits”–Of course when you make a resolution it’s to change yourself for the better. So you’re going to have to be willing to drop some of your bad habits to do so. It’ll be really tough to stop, and you might have some days when you fall off but that’s okay. As long as you know that you’re really trying, and making sure that it actually is helping you get a step closer to your goal.

Step six: “Write down the goal and actually visualize it regularly”– When you write something down it actually stays there… unless you somehow lose the paper. Doing that is way better than keeping it in your head, because you do so much everyday of course you’ll forget it.

Step seven: “Forgive yourself”– It’s okay to forgive yourself. Yes, everyone is human. We all do things that we might not be happy with later on. It’s okay to fall off the wagon. As long as you’re willing to get back up, and try 10x’s harder.

Step 8: (This one is not on the website, I just felt the need to add this one) “It’s not too late”– You don’t have to wait until the new year to start your resolution. Definitely take your time, there’s no point of rushing.

Those are the 8 steps that will help you achieve you goal, and finish your resolution. Don’t forget that your happiness is key to also being a better you, so while you’re out trying hard to achieve your goal(s), remember to always be happy!

And here’s a joke, that I’m sure most of us can all relate to:

7 Comments

7 Responses to “New Year, Old Me?”

1. Silverio Arroyo on December 7th, 2017 11:07 am

I don’t change or make promises so I do not have to worry about keeping promises to myself, I just live care free and oblivious of problems waiting for me.

[Reply]

2. lizbeth on December 7th, 2017 11:09 am

the steps are good, nice joke !

[Reply]

3. Guadalupe on December 7th, 2017 11:13 am

I actually love these steps. It’s something that I feel like trying while trying to do my New Years Resolution. Thanks for the website’s advice and yours!

[Reply]

4. Crystal Carganilla on December 7th, 2017 11:26 am

I loved how you put steps! They are very helpful to those people who have trouble keeping their resolutions. Also the way you put some experiences with your own resolutions was a good touch to add as well.

[Reply]

5. Jay Romero on December 7th, 2017 11:30 am

This article is pretty cool and I really liked hw you put the little picture quote.

[Reply]

6. Kasey Jerkovich on December 7th, 2017 11:42 am

This has given me a few ideas of what to do for the upcoming year. Thank you!

[Reply]

7. Evani Meza on December 7th, 2017 11:43 am

I like the steps that you wrote I think this could help others on their New Years resolutions and I like the joke you added at the end.

[Reply]

The Student News Site of Edison High School - Fresno, CA
New Year, Old Me?