Christmas Traditions Around the World

Alexis Vasquez

Around the world everyone has a different thing they do on Christmas or for Christmas to get into that spirit, but have you ever thought about what goes on for Christmas around the world. Of course we all know the common make cookies for Santa and having the youngest put the star on the christmas tree, but what about in places like Africa or China, well that’s what i’m here to tell you. Around the world there are eating traditions, and some actions that to us may seen strange.

Let’s start out with Africa, or more specifically South Africa. As you know South Africa is home to many beautiful plants and animals one of them being many different types of caterpillars.  So on Christmas the people of Africa like to indulge in a nice plate of fried caterpillars. Another eating tradition is from Japan. On Christmas eve they like to go to eat at KFC. This is all because of a commercial made in 1974.

For Christmas a lot of people like to have their house clean right, well in Norway you can’t clean on Christmas. In fact on Christmas the people of Norway hide their brooms so that evil spirits may not take them. Another weird activity I found done on Christmas is that any single woman in the Czech Republic stand with their back to a door and throw a shoe over their shoulder. If that shoe lands with its toe pointing to the door, rumor has it that the woman will get married within the next year.

It’s weird to hear about these other christmas traditions that we aren’t accustomed to. I’m sure none of us thought about eating fried caterpillars for christmas. These are only some of many Christmas Traditions. These ones I got came from the Huffington Post. If you are interested in reading more strange traditions go here –> https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/24/world-christmas-tradition_n_4479333.htm you can also go here —> https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/1960812/strangest-christmas-traditions-around-world-caterpillars/ this is a UK news post talking about other Christmas Traditions.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Christmas Traditions Around the World”

1. Kasey Jerkovich on December 7th, 2017 11:18 am

I would have liked to seen better writing but other than that, it was very nice. Thank you. I’m done.

[Reply]

Alexis Vasquez Reply:

next time I will just share my story with you and you can correct it.

[Reply]

The Student News Site of Edison High School - Fresno, CA
Christmas Traditions Around the World