Fantasy Football

The Guys That Should Have Made It

Jesus Sandoval Cortes, Staff Writer

Fantasy Football works in mysterious ways. You can be first place and get blown out by the lowest scoring team in the league. You can be the highest scoring team in the league, yet find yourself in the middle of the table. Your player can have an easiest matchup for his position, and still put up his worst performance of the season. Despite the tremendous amount of research that can go into predicting how a will player will perform fantasy-wise, nothing is ever certain. This is why the game is so polarizing: it can be immensely fun, but also unbelievably frustrating.

This year, like usual, there have been many surprises, busts, and revelations. In this article, I will be focusing only on the guys that we were drafting the first round back in early September. As we now know, some of the players we took have not lived up to their first round price tag. On the flip side of that, players that we swooped up in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and heck even the double digit rounds (I think you have an idea of who that’s going to be) have had campaigns worthy of a first round selection.

So with the beauty and power of retrospect, I have compiled 4 players who should have been 1st round draft selections. I will be going off the standard scoring format, and based this list of the typical 12 man leagues. I do, of course, have to preface this list by saying that it is my opinion. Fantasy football analysis is just not fantasy football analysis without opinion. So please do not crucify me if I left a guy out. You’re right, he probably could of been on here, but you don’t have to be angry! Instead, let me know in the comments with a well thought out argument, and you will be awesome.

There are some notable omissions on this list, and I felt the need to briefly explain why I left these guys out. I am talking big names people: Ezekiel Elliott, Kareem Hunt, and Leonard Fournette. Zeke had a tremendous stretch of games, but his suspension means he will stay at 150 fantasy points plus however many he amounts in week 16. That will not be enough to put him in the 10 best players of the season. Kareem hunt started blisteringly hot, I mean that man was like the Human Torch. Unfortunately, his decline has brought him to a point where he hasn’t scored since week 3, posted just 2 points last week, and he is playing in a broken offense. Finally, Fournette also started off in beastly fashion but his injury has slowed him down and it doesn’t look good moving forward.

Okay, one final thing, I promise. I pulled my ADP numbers from https://scout.com/fantasy. The rest of my info is from http://fantasy.nfl.com. Thanks to those guys!

Phewww, finally. With all that being said, let’s get started…

• Todd Gurley

(https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/todd-gurley-injury_us_573b917ae4b0aee7b8e83b3e)

A guy that was being taken as the first overall pick last season, Todd Gurley got his redemption. Gurley flopped horrifically last year, failing to even come close to performing how he had in his rookie season. As fate would have it, this season Gurley is performing like a 1st overall pick. He fell to 2nd and 3rd rounds of drafts this season (ADP of 18), and deservingly so. But those who took the risk have been rewarded bounteously: 1,344 total yards and 11 total touchdowns. He has undoubtedly been the best player in fantasy football this season, and it will likely remain this way.

2.) Alvin Kamara

(https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/10/25/running-back-position-evolution-alvin-kamara-new-orleans-saints-sean-payton-tarik-cohen)

This is why I wanted to write this list. Alvin Kamara has been a rookie sensation. In “The Year of the Rookie Running Back,” Kamara has lead the way. With 1,094 total yards, 9 total touchdowns, 163 fantasy points, and an unfathomable l 8.1 yards per touch, he is locked in as the Rookie of the Year. Want to hear the craziest thing about Kamara? He’s not the starting running back for the Saints. Okay, I know, they use him just as much. But it’s still incredible. Alvin Kamara has just been so unbelievably good. He has been my favorite player to watch and follow this season. Oh, and one last thing, he had a preseason ADP of 137! Now that’s what I call a league winner.

3.) DeAndre Hopkins

(http://rotoexperts.com/118259/will-deandre-hopkins-bounce-back-2017/)

DeAndre Hopkins has a similar story to the first player on this list, Todd Gurley. Like Gurley, Hopkins was a monster two seasons ago. As a result, he was drafted as a top 12 pick last season. And again, like Gurley, Hopkins was a massive disappointment. In truth, it wasn’t his fault. His quarterback was Brock Osweiler. But that season sent his fantasy stock down the toilet, evidenced by his ADP of 28. And one more time, just like Todd Gurley, DeAndre Hopkins got his redemption. He sits at WR2 just behind AB, and has been both consistent and spectacular. Even with Deshaun Watson out, Hopkins has prevailed and performed excellently.

4.) Mark Ingram

(https://sports.yahoo.com/week-10-fantasy-wrap-mark-ingram-alvin-kamara-show-044039978.html)

Last, but not least, well sorta, is Mark Ingram. No, I’m not a New Orleans Saints fan. Remember when I said that Alvin Kamara wasn’t the starter? Well, it’s this guy, and he has earned his place on this list. Since Adrian Peterson was traded to the Arizona Cardinals, the Saints RB duo have been the top 2 running backs in fantasy football. That is actually insane. Ingram has been almost as good as Kamara, and with an ADP of 57, has been a tremendous value for those who had faith. He’s the 9th overall player on the season, and can continue to climb the ranks with how he’s been playing.

10 Comments

10 Responses to “Fantasy Football”

1. Mahaynes on December 6th, 2017 7:03 pm

A lot of research went into this great article, good job Jesus!

[Reply]

2. Jesus Sandoval on December 7th, 2017 11:06 am

Excellent article, a real good read. That Alvin Kamara guy is indeed a beast! I see real potential in you as a future ESPN or NFL Fantasy analyst. Best of luck in your future en devours!

[Reply]

Bacilio Rubio Reply:

Why are you replying to your own article man ????? :/

[Reply]

3. Tiffany Vang on December 7th, 2017 11:06 am

Nice story! I’m all for Green Bay Packers!!! I like how detailed this article was!!

[Reply]

4. Joaquin Ayon on December 7th, 2017 11:10 am

WOW! What a list! A lot of stars were certainly left out. In my league this guy named J#@$! S^&$@%#^ has Alvin Kamara and then complains about his team sucking although he is first and 10-2. That guy need some help, I just hope that he realizes the amount of talent he has on his team. BTW Gronk should’ve gone in the first round. Good article though (:

[Reply]

5. Julio Gonzales on December 7th, 2017 11:14 am

I do like how you focoused on the players that played last year and stayed and did the research of how it was really polarizing.

[Reply]

6. Bacilio Rubio on December 7th, 2017 11:19 am

Well written article Jesus!! It is crazy how some of these incredible players did not make the first round cuts, even though they have been outstanding the past years. A suggestion for a later article you may want to write could be about what players, based on how they did this year, could go in the first round next year. Thank you.

[Reply]

7. Ceariaco Dixon on December 7th, 2017 11:30 am

Football is a key heart period point blank. But it’s also fun and a loving game if you know how to play the game right.

[Reply]

8. Silverio Arroyo on December 7th, 2017 11:42 am

I used to do fantasy football but got tired of it and quit. I used to love making teams and keeping track of players average scores, but it got tedious after a while.

[Reply]

9. Eric Gaytan on December 7th, 2017 11:47 am

Amazing Article! Great list as well! Fantasy Football has a special place in my heart.

[Reply]

• Fantasy Football

Arts and Entertainment

15 Best Cartoon Network Shows

• Fantasy Football

News

The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year Not Really The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year

• Fantasy Football

News

The Most Memorable Moments of the Year of Trump

• Fantasy Football

Editorials

Who is better Messi or Ronaldo?

• Fantasy Football

Features

The Ocean

• Arts and Entertainment

Justice for the Justice League

• Editorials

Christmas Traditions Around the World

• Fantasy Football

Arts and Entertainment

Top 10 Superhero Movies of All Time

• Fantasy Football

News

Aliens and God

• Fantasy Football

News

School Lunches: Three School Districts, Three Opinions

The Student News Site of Edison High School - Fresno, CA
Fantasy Football