• April 4Drill or Not?? Working out safety procedures

• April 4Edison Hosts Basketball Game April 4

• April 4Winning games with teamwork!

Second Semester Struggles

Kavan Anderson, Staff Writer

As the second semester unfolds, it’s come to my attention that students tend to slack off more during this time than they did in first semester. I’ve noticed this to be true more with seniors than anything, but I set out this past week to find out more about my theory. I asked several people for their opinions on my theory and I got a few mixed responses. I also remembered to include a few underclassmen in my interviews to make sure my data wasn’t skewed. They were part of the reason that my answers came back mixed.

A majority of the underclassmen believed just the opposite of my theory; they found that they and their friends were more productive during the second semester of a school year. However, the responses I was getting still didn’t make too much sense.

I further divided my categories, from being just underclassmen responses and senior responses, into athletes and non-athletes. This seemed to order my responses in a more organized way, with athletes that have first semester sports admitting to slacking off more during second semester. This showed that when students don’t have obligations and requirements to meet, they allow themselves to slack off.

Some of the students that I interviewed included underclassman Genesis Leon and Quentin Goss. When asked her beliefs on my theory Genesis responded, “I believe that you try harder in the second semester, because this is the time that you fix what you did from first semester and prepare yourself to do better for your next school year. This is what I personally did and I find that it works best.” Genesis described herself as a “pretty athletic”, making her fall under the category of and underclassman athlete. Quentin Goss on the other hand, classified himself as an athletic senior and replied saying, “I don’t really notice other people. But for me, I keep the same level of laziness throughout the year. But it’s a good lazy, I get stuff done.”

Based off of these mixed responses, I can’t make a very conclusive statement based off of this investigation, but I do still hold onto my belief that Seniors give less effort during the second semester.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Second Semester Struggles”

1. Omar on February 20th, 2018 11:22 am

This is true mainly in Mrs. Leyba ap lit class

[Reply]

2. Omar on February 20th, 2018 11:25 am

I love your ap lit class ms.leyba

[Reply]

3. Jesus Sandoval on February 20th, 2018 11:25 am

I like your topic, and your story is very well written. I think it would have been cool if you included the specific numbers of your data and some charts/graphs. I do really like that you were thoughtful about the categorization and organization of your data.

[Reply]

4. Josafat Gonzalez on February 20th, 2018 11:37 am

You are right about seniors struggling during second semester and underclassmen during first semester. I am one of those underclassmen that struggle during the first semester because it takes me a while to adjust to school after summer.

[Reply]

5. Eric Gaytan on February 20th, 2018 11:39 am

I, myself, have been slacking this semester compared to the first, mainly because of playoffs and devoting most of my time to that.

[Reply]

The Student News Site of Edison High School - Fresno, CA
Second Semester Struggles