• February 21Varsity Boys Soccer falls to Redwood in playoffs. Redwood advances to Championships

• February 21Boys Basketball beats Ridgeview 72-64

• February 21 Baseball Game Thursday 3:30 at Buchanan

How Arsenal Can Make Champions League this Season… and Win the League the Next

Jesus Sandoval, Staff Writer

What a transfer window it has been for Arsenal Football Club. I mean, my goodness, the club made a significant number of moves. They entered the window with controversy already surrounding the club. One of Arsenal’s top two players, Alexis Sanchez, had been unsettled since the summer transfer window. His desire to leave the club was well known, and with only six months remaining on his contract, his exit was almost guaranteed as the club entered January. And sure enough, Alexis Sanchez went to Manchester United. Along with Sanchez, Arsenal also let go of its longest tenured player Theo Walcott to Everton, defensive midfielder Francis Coquelin to Valencia, former starting striker Olivier Giroud to Chelsea. So who did Arsenal bring in to make the squad stronger? Well that, my friends, would be Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, the duo which previously tore it up for Borussia Dortmund in the Bundesliga.

Now what does this mean for the current Arsenal squad? Fans got their first taste of the new squad this past weekend. At half-time, Arsenal was up 4-0 against Everton. Mkhitaryan racked up 3 assists, Aubameyang got his debut goal, and it was overall a beautiful display of football. Undoubtedly, Arsenal’s attack has improved dramatically. Although they lost Alexis, adding two players the quality of Mkhitaryan and Aubameyang to pair up with Alexandre Lacazette and Mesut Ozil can prove to be deadly. As for defence, while Arsenal did not bring in reinforcements, an improved attack can also make the defense better. If Arsenal is able to be on the offensive more often than not, this would of course alleviate pressure from the defense.

Currently, Arsenal sit in sixth place of the Premier League. They are only 5 points behind Chelsea, who are qualifying for the Champions League at 4th place, and 6 behind Liverpool who are in third. This season, achieving champions league qualification is the goal, and it is definitely attainable. Have a look at the following image:

Although it is not what we saw this past weekend, this is the lineup that can get Arsenal into the Champions League. As I mentioned, the front four combination will be lethal with Mesut Ozil and Henrikh Mkhitaryan dishing dimes to the speedy and skillful Aubameyang and Lacazette up top. Iwobi simply cannot start ahead of Alexandre Lacazette, so this is the best lineup to fit in all four stars.

Now have a look at this image:

Next season, Arsenal will have to make some improvements if they want to win the league like I am saying they will. Please keep in mind though guys, the players I’m suggesting are purely based of my opinion. I did try to keep things somewhat realistic, however I think we’ve seen that anything can happen in the world of soccer. With that being said, the first order of business is a new man in between the sticks. Petr Cech is 35 years old, and it has been clear this season that he is no longer a starting caliber goalkeeper for a side in contention. The perfect man for the job is Genoa’s Mattia Perin, an excellent, young Italian arquero with cat-like reflexes. He’s also on a small team, so the incentive to join a (somewhat) big club like Arsenal could be high. Next, Arsenal need another centerback. There are several candidates like the dutchman Stefan de Vrij, Roma’s Kostas Manolas, and German international Jonathan Tah. Above these is the ideal fit, a left footed,  6’2 senegalese brute force by the name of Kalidou Koulibaly. I know this is going to be controversial, but I think Koulibaly would start ahead of Laurent Koscielny. Either way, Arsenal would have a quality defender as insurance.

Now, all that is left Arsenal fans is to hope. Hope for Arsenal’s current squad to live up to expectations, and hope that they make the right signings next year (such as the ones I have outlined!) in order to make a run at the Premier League title.  

Check out Futhead, the website where I was able to create the Arsenal Squad images!

If you want to read more about Arsenal news, transfer rumours, and more, take a gander at these pages!