• October 18Football/Band Senior Night - Oct 26th

• October 18Oct. 24th: Fresno Unified Soccer at 3:30

• October 18Pink Out Game: Oct 19

Shots Fired

Back to Article
Back to Article

Shots Fired

B'Elanna Chanel, Staff Writer

As students in America, everyday coming to school is scary. Not for the typical  not finishing your homework, or forgetting there’s a big test, but for something bigger. The fear of being shot. With 17 school shootings having already happened in 2018 so far, it’s hard not to be afraid.

The first reported school shooting occurred in 1764, in Greencastle, Pennsylvania. This shooting is historically known as the Enoch Brown school massacre. Though it technically is considered a school shooting, only the teacher was shot, was the children were killed in other methods. Since 1764, there have been 485 shootings in the US. The first shooting by a child happened in 1853 in Louisville Kentucky, when 13 year old Mathews Ward brought a pistol to school with the intent to shoot the schoolmaster as revenge for excessive punishment his brother recieved the day prior.

Though in the past school shootings were never seen as newsworthy, the 1999 Columbine shooting opened the floodgates to what is now a hot button topic. With 15 dead and 21 injured, Columbine was a massacre. Columbine wasn’t just a shooting massacre though, it was a highly organized attack containing many elements. The shooters had set off a fire bomb to distract firefighters, rigged propane tanks to explode in the cafeteria, along with many other explosives. More recently, school shootings and the safety of America is in the forefront of people’s minds due to the Stoneman Douglas shooting in February. Such a tragedy enraged the surviving students and are rallying them together with a country just as enraged behind them, to fight for stricter gun control laws.

Now you’re probably wondering, what can be done? With a problem so overwhelming what is there we can do? Well, everyone has an opinion. Many, including the survivors of the Stoneman Douglas shooting believe the government should crack down on gun owners and finally put some cohesive gun laws in place. But that makes gun owners and the NRA unhappy because they believe they cvan control things on their own.. So they believe that teachers should be trained to use guns and then armed to protect the students in the face of such a danger. Fight fire with fire. But then many teachers feel uncomfortable being armed in the classroom and want better school policies and drills to protect the students and keep campuses a safe place. The cycle of what will or won’t happen will continue on until we come to a consensus and decide what is right for America.

To learn more visit: