• October 18Football/Band Senior Night - Oct 26th

• October 18Oct. 24th: Fresno Unified Soccer at 3:30

• October 18Pink Out Game: Oct 19

Football Week 3

Recap of Buchanan Game

Gabriel Camarillo, Freelance Staff Writer

In this week’s column, there will be a full, detailed overview of Edison’s first win of the football season, as well as a preview of the Tigers’ upcoming opponent, the Buchanan High Bears, and another edition of Tiger Pride with Coach Harris. First, a recap of last Thursday’s exciting game:

The Edison Tigers defeated the Clovis West Golden Eagles on a warm Thursday night 41-35, in a wild, back-and-forth shootout between two high-octane offenses determined to put up big numbers on the scoreboard. The big plays started rolling in the first quarter, when Edison quarterback Jameson Silva found Veltrae Jefferson on a slant in the endzone to put the Tigers up early. The Golden Eagles would answer with a touchdown pass from their senior quarterback Dante Chachere, but less than a minute later, Edison wide receiver Tory Horton caught a pass from Silva and burned past the Clovis West safeties for a 58-yard touchdown to grab the lead right back. Not to be outdone, Chachere scored on the next drive with a scrambling 41-yard touchdown run, but the PAT would be blocked and Edison kept the lead. That is, until the seasoned senior came through again for the Golden Eagles and lasered a 45-yard touchdown to receiver Chris Coleman to give Clovis West their first lead of the game. Then, right before halftime, Edison caught a big break: Tory Horton was left wide open and secured his second touchdown of the game, a 23-yard touchdown grab that gave the Tigers a 21-20 lead heading into the half.

Edison carried the momentum of their fortunate late score right into the second half, with Edison running back McKinley Lee returning the kickoff 78 yards, and then punching the ball in for six on the very next play to extend the Tiger lead. After both offenses exchanged fumbles, Edison seemed to go up for good with another long touchdown pass from quarterback Jameson Silva, this one a 45-yard bomb to Veltrae Jefferson that gave them a fifteen-point lead. Edison’s defense still had yet to find a way to stop Dante Chachere, who drove down the field in the very next drive to close the gap to eight with a 25-yard touchdown pass to running back Brandon Wafer. After Edison’s offense stalled in their next drive, Chachere would bring the Golden Eagles all the way back with a 70-yard touchdown pass to Cameron Hicks, and a following completion to Chris Coleman to get the two-point conversion and knot things up at 35. It seemed momentum was now totally on Clovis West’s side, but nobody told Edison’s McKinley Lee that; he charged forward with 45 rushing yards in the Tigers’ next drive alone, culminating in Lee’s second rushing touchdown. The following PAT was blocked, however, meaning that Clovis West could take the lead with a touchdown and successful PAT on their next drive. The Golden Eagles had plenty of time to do this too, with eight minutes left in the game. Methodically marching down the field, Chachere converted one fourth down with his arm, but wound up falling short of converting a second fourth down and turned the ball. 

Yet, the Tigers gained a mere two yards in the next three plays and were forced to punt facing a 4th-and-8. It seemed destined that Dante Chachere, who already had 431 yards of total offense, would succeed in his second chance to win the game. All of a sudden, though, a Clovis West lineman jumped offsides in anticipation of the punt, and now it’s 4th-and-3. Feeling more confident about their chances of gaining three yards, Edison trotted its offense to extend the drive – and McKinley Lee scampered around the outside for a 10 yard run to get the first down and effectively seal the game as a Tiger win. Lee would finish the game with 207 rushing yards on 24 carries and scoring two touchdowns. Both Horton and Jefferson nabbed two touchdowns, while on the losing side, Dante Chachere threw for 317 yards, ran for 114 yards, and scored all five Clovis West touchdowns.

Clovis West (0-2) will travel to Bakersfield last Friday to

Buchanan’s latest addition, senior wide receiver/safety Jalen Cropper, works on his routes.he Tigers on downs and giving them the opportunity to run the clock out.

take on the Liberty Patriots, while Edison (1-1) will face the Buchanan Bears at Veterans Memorial Stadium August 31st.

Let’s focus on the Edison-Buchanan game, as this stands as another big test for these young Tigers to see where they stand among the Central Valley’s elite. You can definitely count the Buchanan Bears as one of these elite teams, proving this last year by making it all the way to the Division 1 championship game, where they would lose 29-7 to the Central Grizzlies. Two key contributors to last year’s 10-win team, quarterback Ty Hall and running back Tyler Ervin, have graduated, but the Bears still boast a plethora of talent this year; This talent includes junior running back Kendall Milton, who ran for 1,514 yards and 23 touchdowns last year in 13 games, and senior wide receiver/safety Jalen Cropper, who transferred to Buchanan from Sanger High School after leading the Apaches to an 8-3 record as their quarterback last year.

1 Comment

One Response to “Football Week 3”

1. Madeleine Fischer on September 10th, 2018 2:30 pm

Very in-depth! The play-by-play description of the game was quite informative.

• Football Week 3

Arts and Entertainment

Identity Theft

• Football Week 3

Breaking News

Tigers On The Field

• Football Week 3

Arts and Entertainment

Lost Light

• Football Week 3

Breaking News

The Illuminated

• Football Week 3

Breaking News

Girlesque Episode 1

• Football Week 3

Breaking News

Dancing Tigers!

• Arts and Entertainment

Golden Brigade & Color Guard Roars at Homecoming!

• Breaking News

The Royals of Edison!!!

• Breaking News

Tigers United at Homecoming Game!

• Football Week 3

Arts and Entertainment

October Horrorscopes ;)

The Official Student News Source of Edison High School - Fresno, CA
Football Week 3