• October 18Football/Band Senior Night - Oct 26th

NFL PLAYERS WHO CAUGHT A CASE

ZDG, Staff Writer

DeAnthony Thomas, a wide receiver for the Kansas City Chiefs arrested in Allen, Kansas for suspicion of marijuana possession. Upon his arrest Thomas reportedly bonded out of jail with no other details surfacing on the topic. Thomas has been active on social media since the arrest, but no statement about the charges  has been made by either Thomas nor his agent. Thomas has been on IR this season with a leg fracture; it would seem like him being on free agency would change where he plays for the 2019-2020 season since the chiefs have no use for him after acquiring Tyrek Hill someone with the same skill set it does not seem to likely for the chiefs to want him.

Michael Vick, former NFL quarterback primarily for the Atlanta Falcons and Philadelphia Eagles. Vick was a promising prospect coming out of Virginia Tech in 2001. During his first 6 years with the Falcons Vick was said to have changed to qb position with his dual threat ability. Being named to 3 pro bowls and currently holds the record for most rushing yards by a qb with 6,109 and most rushing yards in a single season with 1,039. Vick’s career was booming but suddenly came to a halt in 2007 after pleading guilty for his involvement in a dog fighting ring and spent 21 months in federal prison. His arrest became notibally announced to the public. He was later released from the Falcons before leaving prison. He then signed with the Eagles in 2009 and performed the  greatest statistical season of his career, being named to his fourth pro bowl in 2010.

Ray Rice, is probably one of the most heard of NFL players due to his arrest that changed how the NFL handles certain cases. Rice was a former NFL running back for the Baltimore Ravens. Drafted in 2008, and is ranked as the Ravens second all-time leading rusher behind Jamal Lewis. He was a member of the Ravens team that won the super bowl in 2012, but after that accomplishment his career took a devastating blow. In March 2014 he was arrested for subsequently assaulting his fiance’. Incident became well-known after TMZ released a video of him punching and knocking out his fiance’ in an elevator. When the video traced back to the NFL it created lots of backlash, resulting in the Ravens terminating his contract. Rice was reinstated after after successfully appealing the decision in federal courts. However, Rice has not played an NFL game since his last year in 2013.

Aaron Hernandez, was a former NFL tighT end for the the New England Patriots. He was very productive during his first three seasons. His career came to an abrupt end when he was arrested for the initial conviction for the murder of Odin Lloyd. During the 2013 off-season, Hernandez was arrested for charged the murder of Odin Lloyd, a semi-professional football player who was dating the sister of Hernandez’s fiance’. Following his arrest he was released by the Patriots. Hernandez was found guilty of first degree murder in 2015 without the possibility of parole since it became obvious he was the convicted when a video showing the murder was leaked. While on trial for Lloyd’s murder, Hernandez was also indicted for the 2012 double homicide of Daniel De Abreu and Safiro Furtado, but was acquitted after a 2017 trial. Days after being acquitted he was found dead in his cell with his conviction being subsequently vacated since he died during its appeal.