5 Songs to Get You Through a Breakup

5 Songs to Get You Through a Breakup

Dani Gonzales, Staff Writer

1. Happier Than Ever – Billie Eilish  

When listening to and trying to understand the lyrics of this song, it seems like Billie is delighted that someone is no longer part of her life.  “The whole song is just more like nothing even specific that they did, you’re just not happy being with them,” the singer stated in her documentary The World’s a Little Blurry. Can’t even explain it.” Some fans speculate that the song is about Billie’s ex-boyfriend Q Adams. According to Cosmopolitan, Billie and Q broke up April 2019, and she explained, “I just wasn’t happy, and I didn’t want the same things he wanted, and I don’t think that’s fair for him. I don’t think you should be in a relationship super excited about certain things that the other person couldn’t care less about. I don’t think that’s fair to you. I didn’t think that was fair to him. And there was just a lack of effort, I think. I literally was just like, ‘Dude, you don’t even have enough love to love yourself. You can’t love me, dude. And you don’t. You think you do.’ This is one of Billie’s most raw and emotional songs. It was put on her second album and has become one of her most popular songs. She describes how the ending of this relationship made her feel and how toxic it was, yet it was all behind closed doors.  

2. Happier – Olivia Rodrigo  

The song “Happier” by Olivia Rodrigo is an angrier song. We usually don’t hear that from Olivia but she’s heartbroken about seeing her ex- boyfriend move on with a girl so quickly. In the song, she describes how awkward it is to get into a relationship that was once a part of your friend group. She’s talking about the cast of “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series”. Moving on can be hard when you guys see each other every day and must work together. Olivia is still in a state of bereavement. With the new girl, her ex-boyfriend is having the time of his life. Olivia can only hope he isn’t as happy with the new girl as he was with her. This could be a lie she tells herself to help her cope with everything, which is something we all might do.  

3. Easy On Me – Adele  

According to Distractify, Adele’s “Easy on Me” is a letter to her ex-husband and her son. The song’s lyrics feature references to her ex-husband Simon Konecki’s divorce, as well as lyrics about her son. Adele sings, “Go easy on me, baby / I was still a child. Didn’t get the chance to / feel the world around me / I had no time to choose what I chose to do /So go easy on me.” “I changed who I was to put you both first / But now I give up,” she sings. The lively, piano-led melody was composed for their son, Angelo, as she tries to explain to him why she broke up with his father and embarked on a new road for the two of them. Adele first believed she didn’t have the strength to put her son through a divorce, but she eventually realized she needed to prioritize herself.  

4. Someone You Loved – Lewis Capaldi  

It’s easy to listen to a Lewis Capaldi song because they’re so catchy and relatable at times. MTV says that Lewis wrote this song about his ex and according to Lewis Capaldi himself, he was already way over his ex by the time he wrote this song. He states, “I thought I’d written all these songs and I was like, cool, let’s see if I can flog a dead horse some more with this old relationship that I was trying to write about.” He adds that the song isn’t simply just about heartbreak, but it goes even farther on bereavement such as friendship loss.  

5. The Night We Met – Lord Huron  

“The Night We Met” by Ben Schneider/ Lord Huron is a very emotional song that represents love, regrets, and longing. Someone who was formerly close to Ben Schneider appears to be the addressee of the song (the narrator). It’s extremely likely that the addressee was his lover, based on the lyrics. They seemed to have a fantastic time together. However, something awful happened that resulted in the instantaneous dissolution of their relationship. What transpired to cause them to break up isn’t made abundantly obvious in the song. What is very evident, though, is that the narrator is currently downcast. And the lack of the addressee in his environment is the fundamental source of his current sorrow. After being featured in Netflix’s popular teen drama series “13 Reasons Why,” the song achieved success. It had been around two years after it was first launched. Ben Schneider wrote this hugely hit song. It was also manufactured by Schneider, who founded Lord Huron. Lord Huron, on the other hand, is an American indie band led by Schneider. “The Night We Met” has been the band’s most popular song thus far.