The Imaginary World of Free Colleges 

The Imaginary World of Free Colleges 

Tevarak Saopadith, Staff Writer

Can you imagine waking up one day, and walking into the front doors of the college of your dreams without having to worry about the cost? But that is only in the people’s imagination, college graduates often graduate with a huge debt on their shoulders, carrying the debt into their late adulthood. Most people pay heavy amount for colleges, courses, books…ETC but paying a high amount of money does not guarantee them a college degree, most college students pay a huge amount of money to realize the classes they took was not right for them or they end up graduating with a college degree and landing on a low paying job or in the worst case; dropping out of college with huge debt, and that is where free colleges come in handy.  

Free colleges open doors for more opportunities, having a college that is free will allow students to explore different types of classes and find the one that is right for them without having to worry about the cost. In addition, free colleges open the opportunity to families with low finance or income giving them a chance at getting a degree. Furthermorefree colleges can expand the workforce of well-educated people and can lead to better innovation in our society. Lastly, college colleges can help boost the economy, in the blog “5 reasons why college should be free” by The University of People, it states that, “If people were to graduate without debt, it can fast track their ability to spend, save, and spend, this stimulates the economy. With an increase in consumer spending, there is more demand. More demand in spending relates back to the demand in the workforce or more opportunities for employment. This spurs a positive cycle of economic activity” but again, this is just a dream and can only be possible if colleges were to be free and be available to everyone; giving everybody an opportunity.